Friday, February 19, 2010

Burning Churches in Norway Revisited (Or the Alleged Addiction Resurrected)

So on Thursday, I get a text from my friend John.  In retaining his spelling and punctuation, this is what he said:  "Hmm.  Am looking deep (thanks again vodka) what do u feel ur entire role was n alleged addiction...  F u wood humor me @ sum point................."

So thank you vodka.  You have inspired my next blog!  (Let's hope they have a good sense of humor and don't take us to the court!)

In retaining my own spelling and punctuation, this is what I responded:
"My entire role in the AA...  Began with the primary role of “the bassist.”  I was that quirky eccentric guy who was competent enough to play the supporting music (usually as dictated by others) but versatile enough to play the keyboards or rhythm guitar when the need arose or even to help co-write the occasional song.  Despite that competence and versatility, I always felt that my only claim to fame would be to ride on the shirt-tails of the greatness of others.  (i.e. John & Tony Porter.)  I also brought musical influence into the band, mostly in the form of bands we should take influence from.  (i.e. Cranes.)  Though I also brough in my own idea of how we should sound (by the end I had a clear idea of what I wanted) which would be “simplicity, heaviness, darkness, & beauty.”  Which is why I became appalled with the complexity and fruitiness that Tony began to move in the direction of after taking over the head of the band.  I also brought a varied personality to the band, a unique strangeness that varied the nature of the band and its humor...
    ...perhaps making the band’s humor slightly more accessible to the general public.  For most of the 7 yearsI was in the band, I was a motivator, as I really had a passion for making the band work.  It was my greatest dream in life.  Last, but hopefully least, I was the match that started the fire that finally destroyed the band.  Amber Starr was the kindling, and you and Tony were the fuel.  The band was already headed for destruction, but the final chaos in the end terminated the band completely."

I failed to mention that also for the first couple of years while I was in the military, I was also funding the band - sending $200 per month back to Tony, who would save up the money and then buy something cool like a huge mixing board and a bass half-stack.  (Which I still have in my room to this day.)
I went on to add a few more afterthoughts to the mix, all of the three fit nicely together:
      "I still think you and me should resurrect the AA without Tony, though I don’t believe will ever achieve the greatness we once had the potential to achieve.  
      I think we could still become big enough to publish records, I just don’t see us ever getting rich and famous now.  We’ve missed our chance for that, I think.  
      Honestly, you and I could produce music together, just like FOG!!! and the Cheerleaders of Satan, if one of us could just learn to program in the drums.  And my daughter owns a nice Casio keyboard with which we could do so.  Maybe Jennifer could learn how, and she could become the drum programmer - a promotion from tambourinist!" 



(I actually don't think 'tambourinist' is a word, but I like it!  And that's sort of a little joke of mine, since the other day I told Jennifer that she should be part of our band, and when she told me she couldn't play anything, I told her she could be my tambourinist.)

So drunken me (I got drunk later) and drunken John went on and on about family members joining in the mix...

FYI, "FOG!!! and the Cheerleaders of Satan" is a bit of an inside joke for John and I.  It's our nickname for a band called Mayhem that used to supposedly "burn churches in Norway."  (Which became the name of our biggest published record to date - "Burning Churches in Norway.")

Oh, and Tony, if you're reading this, no offense to you.  You're a great musician.  I just think that your musical style became a little bit too complex and fruity for the Alleged Addiction.  Great for video games!

4 comments:

  1. Too fruity for Alleged Addiction but perfect for video games...that needs to go in his resume.

    So fruitiness ruined the band. And I thought it was Street Fighter and Magic:The Gathering.

    Ricky has been teaching himself both guitar and bass so you could tape that talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha, i had to read this whole thing twice to get that you weren't talking about AA for Alcoholics. do you have unlimited texting? those were long texts. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very insightful. I still find it odd anybody can find anything fruity with Tony though. You guys should definitely take a stab at getting the band back together, and don't limit yourselves, who knows many people start their true careers in life and succeed magnificently. Don't let the dream pass without at least attempting to bring it to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ha, ruth you said FRUITion...was that a play on words or just my creepy little brain working overdrive? hahaha!

    ReplyDelete